Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sometimes this shit just writes itself.



When I came into the office this morning my first thought was "The damn lights are still out" until I noticed only the lights directly above the row of cubes I live in were out. So once again I was a little miffed (happens a lot here). When I loudly grumbled about the lack of lights a voice from another cube suggested that perhaps the lack of lights was directly associated with our lack of quota attainment at our branch, which I found amusing to say the least.

Flash back to about 2 months ago:
I think I mentioned a while ago that our office was under construction, which necessitated my working from home the majority of that time (and wasn't THAT sweet). H&K gave up around 60% of our office space to our neighbor, a company specializing in space-age bandages, who is experiencing a real boom of business thanks to our foolish leader's mis-step into Iraq. A mere 8 feet from my cube is a wall which until the construction did not exist. The Miracle Bandage Company is on the other side.

Flash forward to this morning:
After the laughter subsided from the quota comment and about 20 minutes passed, the lights above my row of cubes mysteriously came on. I mused aloud that perhaps the light switch controlling our lights were in fact on the other side of the wall and we'd have to wait for miracle bandage company to come in every morning and remind them to turn on our lights by banging on our separation wall. One of our sales reps walked next door to ask the electricians working on miracle Band-Aid's wiring to look into our mysterious lighting issues. Well, sure enough, our lights are controlled on the miracle Band-Aid's side of the new wall. I guess life IS stranger than fiction, and funnier.

In more office news we finally have power in our newly constructed break room but now the industrial-sized (do we need one with 4 burners for 8 employees?) coffee machine does not work. Seems a sales rep "had to break it" yesterday because it wouldn't stop making coffee, just continued with it's flow long after the pot wass full, causing it to spill all over the floor. No one ever said sales guys were smart.

So, let's recap the office events thus far this week (and it's only TUESDAY):
Unstoppable cascade of ice from freezer + uncontrollable lights (or complete lack there of) + over-achiever coffee maker = THIS PLACE IS POSSESSED! All electronic appliances are to cease and desist.

Someone unplug the Xerox machine before it takes over!
UPDATE!
I stepped out of the office to get some sudafed and when I came back ALL the lights are out again. I kid you not.

3 comments:

Gnomeself Be True said...

Sounds like heaven. I want to work there. In the dark with you and paid for it!
Where do I sign up?

House of Suz said...

Boy, would you regret that decision. This is H&K after all.

Shawna said...

Well, look on the bright side, you get to amuse us all with your crazy work environment. I had to write about cocaine yesterday to have something to write about.